What To Expect?
Duration: Approximately 2 hours
Start the experience in the observatory's presentation room to learn about astronomy basics, telescopes, protecting the night sky, using a star finder, and the night's celestial wonders you will discover!
Outside under the beauty of the Milky Way you will learn the basics of navigating the night sky using points of reference such as Polaris (North Star) and various constellations. Discover hidden gems in the night sky using binoculars (provided, or bring your own). It will surely spark your interest!
Back in the observatory you will discover the beauty of the night sky through the large telescope. See planets, nebulae, and distant galaxies close up!
We encourage everyone to bring their cameras and cellphones. The opportunity may arise that will allow you to take images of the Moon and planets through the telescope. In order to speed up the process of taking photographs, we ask that you familiarize yourself with a few basic features of your phone or camera.
- Know how to turn off the flash of your device.
- Know how to switch between 'Photo' mode (taking pictures) and 'Video' mode (record a movie).
- If you have a camera such as a DSLR we encourage you to learn how to use Manual Mode (M).
Important: Cloudy Skies
In order to view the wonders of the universe, we do need to have clear skies. If the skies are not clear during your visit you have two choices:
- Instead of using the telescope, we offer the same Exploring Space experience using the observatory's other equipment (projector, planetarium software) to tour the night sky. All of the same information will be presented as if it was a clear night. Standard rates apply.
- Reschedule/Cancel your booking, at no cost.
How to Find Us
The Observatory is located at:
338 Frotten Rd
Quinan, NS B0W 3M0
Cost and Rates
- Adults (Age 18+) - $35
- Youth (Age 10+) - $20
- Children (Age 9 and under) - free
Special discounted rates are available for non-profit, school groups and will be handled on a case by case basis. Please contact us for more details.
If you would like to have a private experience, the observatory can be reserved for $100 per person.
Payment is due upon arrival. We accept cash and all major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express)
Tips To Make Your Experience More Enjoyable
- Please remember to dress in layers as the temperature drops quickly. Gloves and a tuque are a must.
- Tours are Weather Dependent and as such, MAY BE Cancelled on short notice.
- Alcohol or smoking are not permitted on the grounds.
How it Works?
Step 1: Check the weather. We need a clear night for stargazing.
The forecast below displays an hourly forecast for the next couple of nights. The top row of numbers is the hourly time. We are looking for blue or dark blue squares along the line 'Cloud Cover' after sunset. Click the widget to learn more.
If you are booking more than a week in advance, no problem. Simply reserve your spot and keep an eye out on the weather as the date aproaches. You can always reschedule.